Thursday, January 8, 2009

Nothing like a nose job...


John and I have been married 4.7 years and together we have shared 4 surgeries, all of which John was kind enough to have. The first three were on his knee and now he has moved on to his nose. (I am really hoping we don't have a second and third follow on his nose). He went in yesterday to have his deviated septum straighten, turbinates reduced and some cleaning out of the sinus cavity. Ouch!!

Technically the surgery went great, but it was a long day! John was supposed to check in at 10 and be in surgery by 11, but his Dr. had an emergency which pushed John's surgery back 3.5 hours. The plan was to have Grandma Martin meet us at the hospital and take Eleanor over to Lana and John's house, but with the delay I decided to join them. Beats sitting in waiting room watching soap operas all day!

John and Lana's house was a huge hit! The kids played, ran and screamed all afternoon. When it came time to go back to the hospital, Eleanor was pretty upset. She kept saying she didn't want to leave. (Gosh, what happened to the days when your little one WANTS you??)

We got back to the hospital just in time to talk with Dr. Gibb. He said the surgery went great and showed me some really nasty photos. John had kind of a hard time coming out of the anaesthesia. His oxygen levels always drop which requires him to get oxygen for a bit. He also had a horrible headache which I'm sure was caused by all the packing and the straws up his nose! After a few hours in recovery we were finally able to head home. We were a little anxious because there was supposed to be a storm hitting around 4 and we didn't get out until 5. I was really dreading the drive from Payson to home with John in pain and a newly-potty-trained 2 year old! Lucky for us the storm wasn't that bad and we made it home safely!

Today, we had to go down to Payson again to get the packing and straws removed. I'm sure John would tell you it was NOT pleasant!! I was in the room but could not watch as the Dr. removed all the packing. I'm not sure why, but when I'm around people who are in pain I get so sick to my stomach and I go completely white!

We were just planning on taking Eleanor with us, but when we told her we were going back to the Dr. she insisted on going to Quinn's house. So we called Lana and Eleanor got to play with her cousins again for a few hours. She fell asleep on the way home and first thing when she woke up from her nap she yelled, "Quinn, where are you? It's me Eleanor". Good thing we get to see him again this week.

Right now it's 3:30 am and John's sleeping and I'm so GLAD to report, he is NOT snoring!! I'm starting to think this surgery was worth it.....

1 comment:

Amy D. Hall Riter said...

Poor John! I hope he feels better!