Tuesday, July 8, 2008

4th of july and the funnel cake place...

First I have to say the 4th of July is one of my favorite holidays. Its right up there with Thanksgiving and Christmas! This year was quite an adventure! We started the holiday bright and early at the Provo parade! Neither Lori nor I had ever been to the Provo parade but we had heard people start saving places the day before and that it got crowded quick. So, we decided we'd get down there Thursday evening, sell for a few hours and then spend the night so we'd have everything ready by 7 am. My good friend, Faustino, let us set up in front of his restaurant, Los 3 Amigos. Thanks to Hope and Derek for coming down on Thursday night and having our VERY first funnel cake and for helping us work through a few kinks. Had we started our business a few months earlier we could have gotten into Freedom Festival, but our location was actually pretty good and provided just enough traffic for what we wanted on our first event. So yeah, Lori, Katie, Aaron and myself all slept out on the street waiting for our big day. (actually, I was the only one who got any sleep, and I only got about 3 hours). Friday morning by 7 am we had things ready and people started coming. John and Eleanor made it down a little after 7 am. We wish we would have thought about taking Eleanor to the hot air balloons. She loved watching the few left in the air. From about 8 am to 11:30 we pretty much had a solid flow of customers. It was great! We figured out a few things along the way. For one, Lori is a MUCH better cake maker then myself and I am better at the lemonade making. We also learned that we definitely need another person working with us. Thanks to John, Ryan, Cassie and Aaron for all your help!! It seriously was a lot of fun and we can't wait for our next event. Thanks to John for taking a few photos of our busy morning!! 

After the parade we all went home and enjoyed a little nap. After our nap we met up with Reed and Allie for our neighborhood BBQ. Hope and I took Eleanor and Aspen to get their face painted. We opted out of the "face" painting and went with the arm instead. Of course Eleanor got a horse and was obsessed with it for the rest of the day. She had a small melt down when the horse got wet and was "broken". We also took the girls down the large blowup slide. Geez, that thing was a beast to climb with a toddler in hand and we had quite the ride down hitting into each other!! 

After the BBQ we all went down to JCW's for some ice-cream then headed over to the Hackings to finish unpacking all of our stuff from earlier. After we finished unpacking Hope and Derek brought over some fireworks and the guys had fun lighting them off. Surprisingly, Eleanor actually enjoyed them this year. Unfortunately she fell asleep before we headed over to the park to watch the fireworks at Thanksgiving point. Overall, I'd say we had a GREAT 4th 
of July!! Looking forward to next years already!

Oh yeah I forgot the funniest part of the day. That night when we were lighting off fireworks I stole a few of those little ones you throw on the floor that snap. When we got home I put a handful under the part of the toilet seat that lifts up. I set the video camera up on the counter and waited for John to come in and sit on the toilet. When he sat down it was priceless!! He claims it didn't scare him...but I've got the video to prove it!!!



3 comments:

Michelle and Javier said...

Julie, your daughter is beautiful! I think you should post the video of that! So funny!

Kristen said...

You're evil! But I love the idea. Knowing me, I'd forget that I'd put them there and go sit down myself:) Wish I'd been in Utah for some funnel cake.

Barnes said...

Looks like your Funnel Cake stand went well. Congrats!! You look great by the way!