Thursday, July 31, 2008

az road trip IV...

Our drive back to Utah was a lot of fun. My parents decided to drive up with us and spend some time in Utah and in Idaho. On the way home we made it to four national parks! The first was Canyon de Chelly. I don't think I've ever been there and I'm so glad we stopped because it was so beautiful. Right when I saw it I remembered Ansel Adams had taken a photograph there. Of course we couldn't get this close, but it was still amazing. 
Our next stop was Monument Valley.  We actually didn't go into the park but got some great views of it just on the road. I seriously love this landscape. I think growing up in Arizona I always took for granted the beauty of the desert. 

Of course Eleanor was LOVED having everyone in the car. She did amazing on the trip. I think this day we were in the car almost 12 hours and she maybe cried 15 minutes. The key was A LOT of primary songs and Beatles songs.  She also had a fair amount of suckers, fruit snacks and other healthy snacks.


A very typical sight on the reservation. A little road stand and an amazing sky. That is something I love about Arizona and the desert, the sky and clouds are awesome!

We spent the night in Moab and decided to hike to Delicate Arch the next morning and drive through Canyon Lands. This photo cracks me up for two reasons: 1. Check out my dad's hiking attire. Who hikes in a long sleeve dress shirt, slacks and dress shoes? I'm pretty sure, just my dad. 2. Who hikes with a purse?? I guess only my mom.  oh and I or a 3rd... Who hikes with a 22 month child? Only John and I!
I was the lucky one and got to carry Eleanor on my shoulders 90% of the hike. She loved being up on my shoulders and looking for snakes. Every stick we saw was a "pink snake". 
I am so glad we did the hike. It was so beautiful. I was also so proud of my mom for doing it.


No comments: