Thursday, August 7, 2008

ouch...

On Tuesday my mom, Eleanor and I met Jay and Zack over at Thanksgiving Point for lunch. After lunch we were walking  back to our cars and Eleanor and Zack started playing on a small little grassy area in between parking lots. We were all standing right there by them and could see that they were playing with the bottom of a street light. Eleanor lifted up a small part of the metal casing and suddenly there were over a dozen wasps surrounding her. Before I could get to her she started screaming and was covering her face. Right away I could see that she had been stung twice. Once under the eye and another right under her nose. Of course we were all a little panic, not knowing if she was allergic and worrying about the pain of the stings. She cried pretty hard for about five minutes but by the time we got home she was pretty calm. When we got home I noticed she had four additional stings on her face. The poor thing, her face was bright red and was starting to swell up. My mom looked online to see what to do for wasp stings while I tried calling my Pediatrician. Of course, the phones were down at all 3 offices. Jay called her brother and sister-in-law who are both nurses and they told us what to watch for. After talking to John and seeing that the swelling under her eye was getting worse, I decided to take her to the doctor's office. When we first got to the Dr.s office we found two more bites on her arm. That's a total of  8 stings!!!I was so proud of Eleanor, she was so good at the doctor's office. (I think she likes the Dr.s office because she has been obsessed with the "Five little Monkeys Song" the last few weeks and I'm sure she thought it was so cool that HER mama called the doctor.) She talked the the doctor and told her all about the "wasp bites". The Dr. gave her some medicine and said just to watch her breathing for the next 3 days. It's been two days and she's doing great. She still has some swelling under her eye, but NOTHING like before. It was seriously swollen shut and was even a little blue. 

Eleanor with baking soda paste. The paste helps draw out the stingers after it dries. 


The next day. You can kind of see how swollen her eye was. (yes, she is wearing the same dress. She fell asleep on the way home from taking Mimi to the airport and I didn't want to wake her to change her)

6 comments:

Dick Baldwin said...

how am i just hearing about this now?! how sad! poor girl....

but i had to laugh a little over that last picture... she's taking after her mom in the "asian" department i see :)


--sara

Tiff Hunt said...

I am so sad for her!! I didn't realize how bad it was! We sure do love her!

Angie said...

Julie, that breaks my heart! I can't even imagine how that felt because I have never been stung! She is so stinkin cute!!!

Lyman Family said...

That is so sad, poor thing. Hey I am so mad at myself for not going to St. Johns. I was going to go and then at the last min decided to stay and do yard work. If you ever make it that way again let me know I would love to see you.

rkkorth said...

What a brave little girl. She looks pretty happy the day after though. She's a better sport than I would have been.

Jordan and Luci said...

The poor girl! That makes me so sad! She's the cutest thing!