Monday, February 15, 2010

We made it!

Here it is, 1:20 am at I'm sitting in our family room with Amelia in our flat in London. I find it kind of funny that she's the only one having jet lag. John and Eleanor went to bed at 10 pm and I wish I could fall asleep as I type. It was quite the experience getting here and we are so thrilled to finally start this little adventure.

Our flight from Salt Lake to Minneapolis was delayed due to a man having a heart attack on the flight so we missed our connecting flight to London. They put us up in a hotel in Minneapolis and Eleanor thought she was living the high life!! John's was the lucky suitcase we choose to carry on with us, so he was the only one to get a fresh change of clothes! Luckily, I had packed a few extra diapers for Amelia and by the time we finally made it to London, I had one to spear!

We've discovered that Eleanor does not enjoy waiting in lines, especially hour long lines at airports, but she enjoys riding on John's carry on and always wants to go faster! We also discovered that the little stink must of had a enormous growth spurt the day before we came because her shoes no longer fit!! She got away with just wearing her socks all throughout 3 airports! Disgusting, I know, but I didn't want to deal with blisters! Both girls did AMAZING on the flights. Neither one cried ONCE! I've never gotten so many compliments on how cute and well behaved my children are (Good thing we didn't travel two weeks ago! Eleanor is just starting to come out of a really rotten stage!!)

Since we did not make our flight from Minneapolis they rerouted us to JFK the next morning. We had a 4 hour layover at JFK where we enjoyed a nice long lunch at Chilies and tried to keep the girls awake before taking off. Eleanor was tired but we managed to keep her awake and Amelia feel asleep about 30 minutes before we boarded the plane.

I was so amazed at how well Eleanor and Amelia travelled. Amelia seriously made not one cry!! I can't count how many people commented on what a cute and good baby is she. Eleanor got a little ornery when we first got on the plane but once the plane started moving she was out! She slept for about 3 hours and then spent the rest of the trip watching movies.

When we got to London we found out our luggage did not make our flight. They delivered 2 of 5 tonight. John was hoping it would be the bag with his work shoes so he wouldn't have to go out and buy new ones. He got his wish! So, instead of buying new shoes he had to go out and get some diapers. We all couldn't go with him because our stroller didn't arrive and I didn't think Eleanor would be up to walking around in the rain. Now, let's just hope the rest of our luggage arrives tomorrow.

Eleanor got to experience her first taxi ride and couldn't wait to stand on the street and yell, "Taxi". Don't ask me where she learned that one! Unfortunately, that's not how things are done at Paddington Station. While in the taxi she asked if I wanted to hear her hotel song and then she sang about our hotel and how we are never leaving it and how we get to climb up the stairs. She was so excited to finally get to the hotel, but the poor thing fell asleep just a few minutes before we got there and she was OUT!

It was such a relief to finally get to our flat and be done with airports, lines, delays, airplane seats and all the other enjoyments of traveling! Our flat is nicer then I had expected. It has two good size bedrooms, two bathrooms, a big family room and a nice kitchen.

Okay, I think Amelia is finally falling to sleep, so I'm off!

2 comments:

Molly said...

Oh how exciting!! Good Luck with everything!!

Tiff Hunt said...

I can't wait to see pictures! I can't wait until Paul and I get to go see such places!